Monday, June 9, 2008

Cicadas!!!!


So it is officially Cicada time here in Louisville. I walked outside and one landed on my shirt, then my arm. I dare not open my mouth, for fear that one will be my dinner. So apparently they only come out of the ground once every 17 years, mate and die. So the plague of all plagues came about 4 years ago, Brood X as they are called. Brood X, sounds like this should be made into a movie. I thought I was clear of the bugs for 17 years...who knew that there are tons of species...and, of course, they are all on their very own schedule. So what, if I dig low enough in my yard, will I find tons of different broods all in their different stages. I hope I don't get to Brood X, I can imagine them swarming out of the ground and attacking me. Polly enjoys the Cicadas, well, she enjoys eating them. She can't catch a ball or bone or treat in her mouth when I am standing right in front of her, but, amazingly...she can catch a Cicada in flight! Then I yell at her to drop it, which she does, and now the bug is dead and slimy. Ick...from what I read on the official Cicada-lovers site, they are in NC too...hope not for the rest of you.

4 comments:

Band of Bohlens said...

Yeah, we went camping over Memorial Day weekend and you could hear them on the mountain. Sounds like a constant whistle hum. Wierd!
Locusts is what the locals call them. They used the same name too in Hillsville, Virginia

Debbie said...

Well I hope they don't come to Florida, we have everything else but this would be just toooooo much to take. Maybe they can't take the heat. Sounds just awful. According to Barney Fife if bats lay eggs in your hair you will go crazy when they hatch. If these aim for your hair, run like run for cover no telling what might happen. Yipes.....

Melissa said...

Not in Birmingham...must be too hot like FL!
Go Polly...just don't let her bring any unhatched friends with her when you come.
:)MJ

Band of Bohlens said...

Christine, I hear you are moving. Yea!!!!!!!! I am happy for you. God bless as ya'll as you head'm up and movin'm out. Love, A. Mary